Types of SPD's
- Type 1 = Protection against flash-over from direct lightning strikes to building structure or to LV overhead supply.
- Type 2 = Protection against overvoltage's which can stress the electrical installation.
- Type 3 = Protection against overvoltage's and high currents on items of equipment.
- Type 1+2 would offer both the protection of a Type 1 and Type 2 SPD combined.
SPD's and Lightning Protection Systems
SPD's and the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
- Appendix 16 - Devices for the Protection Against Overvoltages (page 507-512)
- Section 443 - Protection Against Transient Overvoltages or Atmospheric Origin or due to Switching (page 100)
- Section 534 - Devices for the Protection Against Overvoltage (page 160)
- 534.4.7 - SPD Installation in Conjunction with RCD's (page 168)
Protection of Sensitive Electronic Equipment