The first edition of the wiring regulations was published in 1882 and was titled “Rules and Regulations for the prevention of Fire Risks Arising from Electric Lighting“, and was also known as the “Wiring Rules” which was published by the “Society of Telegraph Engineers and Electricians” consisting of only 4 pages.
In 1903 the regulations was issued as the IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) Wiring Regulations until 1991, which was the 16th edition wiring regulations with amendments published up to 2004.
The standard BS 7671 was born on adoption of the standard by the BSI in 1992. A full new edition of BS 7671 is published around every 10 years or so, amendments are added to the current version every now and again as the need arises.
At time of writing the current version of BS 7671 is the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations 2018.
BS 7671 Publication History
BS 7671 Publication Dates
- 1st Edition 1882 Rules and Regulations for the prevention of Fire Risks Arising from Electric Lighting
- 2nd Edition 1888 Wiring Rules & Regulations in Buildings
- 3rd Edition 1897 General Rules recommended for Wiring for the Supply of Electrical Energy
- 4th Edition 1903 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 5th Edition 1907 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 6th Edition 1911 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 7th Edition 1916 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 8th Edition 1924 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 9th Edition 1927 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 10th Edition 1934 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 11th Edition 1939 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 12th Edition 1950 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 13th Edition 1955 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 14th Edition 1966 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 15th Edition 1981 IEE Wiring Regulations
- 16th Edition 1991 IEE Wiring Regulations BS 7671
- 17th Edition 2008 IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671
- 18th Edition 2018 IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671
- 19th Edition (TBC) IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671
BS 7671 Key Dates
1882 – 1st publication
1992 – Wiring Regulations adopted by the British Standards Institute as BS 7671
2004 – Introduction of Part P of the Building Regulations
2018 – Publication of the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations
The IET and BSI (British Standards Institution) published the IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment 3:2015.
The IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology, formerly The IEE) began as the Society of Telegraph Engineers and of Electricians and issued the first set of Rules and Regulations in 1882.
For more information on publications such as BS 7671, Best Practice Guides and IET Guidance notes visit » publications.